What is a seed? A seed is a word or a string of characters used to generate specific terrain when creating a new world in Minecraft. By using the same seed to generate separate worlds you will generate the same terrain consistently even on different iPads. This means you could have all the students using the same terrain, to build and create a specific landscape, building, or other Geographic, Historical feature, on their individual iPads.
Why use a seed? Well a seed saves student time rather than just generating random landforms they can choose the terrain they want by find a seed that generates the combination of landforms / terrain they desire. Alternatively you could ask all the students to use a particular seed thus creating a level building field! They will encounter similar obstacles and issues. Which could be part of the challenge depending on the task and subject.
Here are some Seeds you might like to trial:
Seed : Nether – Terrain: snow biomes and frozen oceans
Seed : balderdash – Terrain: Flat land
Seed : newbiecool – Terrain: large land with floating pieces which is good for survival maps.
Seed : hunter – Terrain: lots of water, some snow, big mountains, lots of coal, iron ores in mountains.
Seed : Dumbocow – Terrain: cliffs, waterfalls, and caves.
Seed : 1359075770 -Terrain: water cave system
Seed : ONE DIRECTION -Terrain: a ton of sheep, trees and other resources around. Lots of hills and water. There is 16 diamonds around spawn area.
Seed : waterfront -Terrain: lava fall snow and a lot of ice it also has a mini desert
Seed : v -Terrain: it is an awesome world you will spawn in a valley surrounded by huge mountains
Seed : world -Terrain: Lot of sand and big caves in huge mountains
Seed : starter -Terrain: water falls, laques under the mountains holes , big islands , really really huge mountains
Seed :lava -Terrain: a winter wonder land with a small beach
Seed : melons. -Terrain: Huge hill, small pond, lava fall and 2 waterfall side-by-side
Seed : Glacier -Terrain: flying mountains and surfaces
Seed : but -Info: This seed is very good for those you are not very good at finding coal. Coal in this seed can be found almost everywhere.
Seed : flat land -Terrain: ice everywhere.
Seed : nyan -Info: This seed has an instant lava and monster spawner making life quite hard. After spawning, there is a cobblestone generator just around you and useful for making a house.
Seed : snooze ( no capitals) -Terrain: cave over river in the middle of mountain,small lakes,mountains lake,snow hills, valley cave,TREES,
Seed : hdhd37jfu25jfj8jfj3f28 -Terrain: Winter world Creates snow and ice
Seed : rjrujrhgeiigieigjeidjc -Terrain: Caves and Mountans
Seed : generator -Terrain: Huge mountains , a lot of water , some floating blcs , big caves and waterfalls and more
Seed : popcorncandyland -Terrain: A big ocean
Seed : Taco -Terrain: Lots of flat ground, some snow and some sand. A few medium mountains and one or two caves.
Seed : destiny -Terrain: Loads of mountains some with snow and some caves
Seed : Alpha -Terrain: Half of the map is all mountainous, the other half is all water and snow. With a medium cove/cave like area.
Seed : 3.14 (as in Pi) -Terrain: Weird mountains in some areas, a lot of forests and water. Some ice, too.
Seed : dawg -Terrain: Snow, some rocky mountains, cliffs and lots of forest. One Medium sized lake.
Seed : michael -Terrain: a few caves, snow covered mountains, some water and a little forest.
Seed :Vancouver -Info: great for resources and the hill makes a really good house/mine
Seed : jpgaming -Terrain: waterfalls,caves,
Seed : 30 -Terrain:: many mountains, caves, overhangs, There is so many huge mountains
Seed : iBricked -Terrain: an Ice Ocean , very flat land
Seed : Peacemaker -Terrain:: lots of mountains and some craters
Seed : Hunger_games -Terrain: Some snow Water is mostly ice. but also a small desert and grassy areas. Very hilly.
Seed : iancoulahan1 – have a look see
Seed : bandit! -Terrain: It has a huge snowy forest biome
Seed : seed -Terrain: a flat winter biome
Seed : theseedpeed -Terrain: You spawn on top of a massive mountain and waterfalls
Seed : 18bananas -Terrain: tall mountain
Seed : 83blankets -Terrain: small islands and frozen ocean
Seed : 40 -Terrain: waterfalls, mountains and caves
Seed : Stockholm -Terrain: A massive waterfall
Seed : Android -Terrain: Some lava!
Seed : skyblock -Terrain: mountain and a waterfall!
Seed: smooth -Terrain: lots of mountains and a waterfall.
Seed : 25026297228817461931 -Terrain: very big, cool mountain with caves
Seed : xperiaplay -Terrain: Huge ice bay and some lakes
Seed : racecardriver -Terrain: snow, waterfall and ice.
Seed : minecraftisawesome -Terrain: big mountains
Seed : frostthejack -Terrain: ice bay and floating blocks
Seed : 42 -Terrain: LOTS of water.
Seed : vicious -Terrain: Floating rocks, weird overhangs, waterfall on floating rock.
Seed : pickle -Terrain: frozen lake, mountains
Seed : frshst -Terrain: BIG mountain and more
Seed : pokemon -Terrain: Super huge mountain and more
Seed : skrillex -Terrain: Watefall on mountain and big mountains
Seed : 21chicken -Terrain: It has caves, huge mountains, floating blocks and heaps more!
Seed : carpet -Terrain: tall mountians, floating blocks, big mountain and more.
Seed : iliketomoveit -Terrain: some grand waterfalls, a lava fall and a few caves
Seed : Flattering -Terrain: mostly ice
Seed : Flat world -Terrain: lots of water and some flat islands
Using Minecraft Pocket edition in the classroom:
* construct an Egyptian structure, or any ancient structure using creative building make it more challenging use survival mode!
* Pyramid builders – students are to use the Minecraft app and try and construct a pyramid – take a screen shot and use an app they like to compare their pyramid and an Egyptian pyramid – annotate the images explain how difficult it was to build and how and why the Egyptians built the pyramids.
* Climate and its implications for ancient Egypt after looking at clothing we went on to view and discuss housing. Sharing with the students images of mud brick houses we discussed the Why? How? and features of the poor and wealthy. Students then created their own images of a house, or built a house in Minecraft which is for sale. They are then going to create the for sale sign outlining its features.
* Use Minecraft the app to build and sculpt Geographical landforms. Once you have created your allocated number of landforms you then need to explain how they are formed. Do this by taking a screen shot or shots and then using app skitch to annotate the images. This will enable you to label the landforms. You then will need to use an app of choice – Corkuluous Pro, Keynote, PicCollage etc to explain how the landforms is or are created and formed over time.
* Build an ancient Roman restaurant in the style of ancient architecture – use the minecraft app for your creation. Take some screen shots of your minecraft restaurant. Using Sketchbook express to add your restaurant name to the images.
*Use Minecraft to build a ancient Greek Monument – with students creating different ancient Greek monuments using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greek_architecture students will choose a monument from a hat then recreate it in Minecraft – once created they will take screen shots use 360 panorama app identifying features of the building.
* Design your own temple to a God bring it to life using Minecraft
* Create a natural landform feature, take screen shots as you create along the way as though it was being naturally created. Then using iMovie explain how this landform was created over time. Add narration to your images in iMovie. Use Skitch or Sketchbook express to label or annotate your images for your movie if they need it.
* Create a sustainable environment
* Test hypothesis around Gravity, Circuits, Sustainability, effects of environmental destruction, Learn about Survival all with in minecraft world students could test individually or join a server and work cooperatively or divide into teams and play against the other teams.
Well it has been a while but here are some tested Minecraft seeds have fun:
3292052 – Villages with great landscapes around including river, jungle, mountain and plains
1405119578 – Jungle and Desert environments
1418072576 – Village island
1894558086 – lots of Caves
-509333905 – Loads of iron , village and diamonds
1074879716 – There is a couple of villages and great landscape
1407434958: also has a Village Island
1408106526: Epic Mountain Villages & A Floating Island
1388582293: lots of villages altogether
infinity: Dig deep to find iron, redstone, and precious gems.
AcE: Lots of water a a village in the centre
sylph: huge mine
1405119578: Jungle, melons, cocoa beans and a Mesa Biome
my son and I tested these out and they all worked on the iPad. The beauty of using a seed is to ensure that you have the materials, landscape, resources that you want to build with and on rather than having to hope or regenerate your environment.
Using Minecraft in the classroom is a huge hook into our content to test, explain and create content in different ways. If you need inspiration check out our iTunes U course on using Minecraft in the secondary classroom by myself and amazing teachers from RSC. You can download it with an iPhone or iPad from iTunes U – https://itunes.apple.com/us/course/design-build-create-discover/id1039242773. The course explores different ways or using world creation tools in the classroom across the curriculum.